Thursday, November 3, 2011

Cold Weather Warm Colors

Chiffon, the lightest silk used at Carter Smith designs this material is sheer and can be picked up by the slightest breeze.  It flows beautifully.


I am going off to meet the owner of a beautiful gallery today.  On these kinds of trips I try to do my best to bring something that the person I am meeting with will connect strongly with.  Every person is keyed into different thing visually, and some are just much more visually aware than others.  When asking the lovely woman I will be meeting with today what colors really work for her she replied that she likes warm colors, reds, oranges, yellows.  I can't fully express how happy this made me.  It's that whole grass is greener thing.  I can't wear any of those colors, god knows I try anyway because I love them.  Getting to pick out some beautiful warm colored pieces makes my day.  


In sharing work today I thought it might be fun to show warm colored pieces with an emphasis on the fabric.  Carter only works with silk but he works with many different kinds of silks.  Here are examples of the materials he works with dyed in some fun warm colorways. 


Cut Satin (also know as burned out satin) the elegance of this fabric can be partially attributed to the contrast between the sheer and opaque.   With it's high sheen it can be quite showy with bold colors but quickly appears more elegant and demure in black.

 Embroidered silk, is an upholstry weight fabric.  The heaviest silk used at Carter Smith designs, this is the hardest to dye and the most expensive.  We feel that the outcome is completely worth the investment.

Satin, Carter's shibori is incredible.  Having it on satin is like always walking around with the perfect lighting following you.  This fabric catches light in a beautiful, delicate way.
 
 Four ply silk is the second heaviest weight silk that is used in our studio.  Imagine this as "winter weight"  it is thick and warm without loosing the luxury factor.  This is a take it or leave it fabric some people love it some not so much.  I think it's beautiful and I love the extra structure that it gives pieces constructed with it.

Cut velvet (also know as burned out velvet) is a tactile delight.  Silky smooth on the inside, with a beautiful tactile pattern on the outside.  Watch out if you wear this people may just want to pet you.  The weight of the velvet pulls the silk in all of the right directions. Every piece made in this material feel like wearing a hug.

 Double Georgette Silk is our stand by here.  Nothing cuts a more flattering shape.  The weight and flexibility of this fabric flows over womanly curves floating in some places and hanging in others.  It shows the things we want and hides some of those other things rather splendidly.

2 comments:

  1. I love to bring warm, vibrant colors in to my work this time of year as well...especially the dark gray winter months. People need the color to bring them out of the blahs. Beautiful work!

    Caryne Mount
    www.carynemount.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caryne, thanks for checking out what Carter is up too! FYI- your web link (www.carynemount.com) does not come up :( I did however link to your work through your user profile. I love your ballet costumes they are breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete